Thursday, September 29, 2011

Squire White


18"x24" acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas

Commissioned portrait for the White Inn - to hang in the Bar
named "The Squire White Room"


This portrait is of Squire White who was the original builder / owner of the White Inn located in Fredonia, New York. I discovered a lot of history associated with the building itself which I enjoyed very much.

The reference was a black and white photo copy of a etching from an old book. The reference didn't have a lot of detail, so I had to create some of the wrinkles and shadowing. Since the reference was black and white I was also forced to invented the color scheme. After doing a little research, I found some other portrait paintings from the time period of the etching (early to mid 1800s) and used them as color references. I also considered the colors in the room where the portrait would be hanging.







No comments: